Looking Towards My Future

A Merry Tuesday to Everyone!

This week I don't have much to add to Illevar outside of tightening a few things mechanic and concept wise. So instead of focusing on that small bit for this week's post, I wanted to talk about my plans for the future. Specifically the 1 year goal.

Career Change

I have been an ESL Instructor in Asia for 6 years now. Amazing how "Do this for a year to gain experience" turned into "I've been doing this for how long?!

I first took a job in South Korea as a way to gain some quick experience and to live abroad. Nothing seemed to be moving in the right direction for me while I lived in Wisconsin, so the change was a needed a step. I spent the first year of Korea working for an English Kindergarten and gained a lot of life experience as well as job experience. 

That year saw me engage with my first, true, job related issues in my life. Contract disputes, late pay, forced relocation more than once, and what being a work-visa holder really meant. 

That year also taught me a lot of soft-skills. How to make friends, how to break through my social anxiety a bit and seek help, how to interact with children, and many, many more.  

As each year passes in this career, I feel that I improve upon these skills. I enjoy helping my students, young and old, to improve themselves and chase their dreams.

In my newest contract position, there aren't many employee contracts in this industry, I've had the luxury to work from home and to assist my students from the comforts of their choosing. My telecommunication skills, IT skills, and more have had to grow to meet this new standard of work. 

And to be honest, I love working from home. I am able to maintain my home, do the errands, and take care of my partner.  I get to save money on transportation, avoid the dreaded train rides in the scorching Aichi heat, and craft an environment that helps me, my partner, and my students be the best we can be. 

These factors led me to learning about Data Analysis, blogging, video editing, creative design, and more. I'm hopeful that I can make the transition into those fields and that my past career experience doesn't imprison me in education. It is a noble field and one that is in need of skilled, well-trained, and well supplied individuals. That said, I feel it is time to move on. 

The 1 Year Goal

My goal for this year is to move back to the United States to start a new career path. I want to work with data, numbers, games, and many more. Along with that, I want to finally settle down. I want the family, the home, the yard, the pets, and the challenges they present. 30 years came about much quicker than I could have imagined and I feel I'm ready for those next big steps down life's road. 

Will I get all of that? Probably not. Am I going to keep trying? Yes

My anxiety still grips me and I don't think it'll ever let go, but I've gotten better at ignoring it and doing the things that need to get done. 

Challenges Ahead

No plan goes perfectly. There are always challenges and unforeseen hiccups along the way. 

The first challenge to conquer is getting back to the United States and getting a place to settle down in for a while. Money is tight for everyone right now, but we've got some savings and I know we can tackle this first challenge.

The second challenge to overcome is getting that new career. There is no guaranteed way to get into our new careers immediately. Best practice seems to be to never give up and keep trying. There's a place for us and I know our experiences abroad will help get us there. 

I'm sure there are many more challenges awaiting my partner and I as we strive for a better future. There will be tears, stress, and crying. There will also be many smiles, successes, and love. 

Closing Thoughts

Thank you to everyone who reads these posts of mine. My mind is a jumbled mess as it tries its best to organize and balance many different factors and projects. 

Before I forget, Happy Pride to everyone. The world loves you and we're glad to have you with us. 


That's all for today's post. You can always tune in again next week. Don't forget to follow me on Twitter.
 


Comments

Popular Posts