Leveling Up Abilities - Road Map

Happy Tuesday to Everyone!

There isn't too much to report from this past weekend. I spent the rainy days shopping with my love and preparing some food for Easter. Nothing too intense, just some homemade refrigerator pickles and some roast beef sandwiches. 

Though I am sure most of you are not here to read about my small culinary attempts.

Today, I wanted to just get some thoughts down from this weekend on how to add more abilities to the PCs of Illevar.
pngtree.com

Abilities and Spells

I've gotten down some sample spell names and am in the process of deciding their levels before working on their AP costs and damage outputs. 

I figured for initial tests that most "strong" spells/abilities will have a max cost of about 5. Most lower level spells will average 1 or 2 AP to use. This allows us to keep numbers lower, but make each spell feel impactful.

Spellcasters

My initial idea for leveling up spellcasters involves them gaining a new spell at every level while improving/enhancing an older spell.  They will also gain some skill bonuses while leveling. 

Acolytes and Elementalists will have more choice over their spell choices than Gamblers. Gambler abilities will be gained at a set pace (at least for this initial testing phase).

Physical

Physical characters will alternate gaining improved Passive Abilites and Active Abilites every level. This could just be a boost to natural defence or, for example, improving the Potion Brewing abilities of the Craftsman. 

Physical characters can still enhance their abilities to make them easier to use, just as the spellcasters can. 

I've been having trouble adding abilities to Physical characters, well specifically, the Guardian and Mercenary characters. They generally just improve damage or add some defence. Which is on flavor, but how many different "+X to attack" abilities can you have before they just blend together and lose their luster? 

One remedy to this conundrum is to add some "spells" to the physical characters. Similar to the Eldritch Knights of D&D or Paladin classes. This might be the path I end up going down, but still mulling it over. 
copyright Wayne Reynolds

That's All Folks

I'll make another post as things get updated and I have mroe pictures. At this point, I'm just tossing around numbers and hoping something sticks or at least gives me some better idea of how to proceed. 
As always, any and all feedback and comments are appreciated. 

That's all for today's post. You can always tune in again on Tuesdays and Fridays. Don't forget to follow me on Twitter.

Comments

Popular Posts